Wave59 data

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
Mongo

Wave59 data

Post by Mongo » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:23 pm

Hey all,
Noob question here. In the Data setup it says "Wave59 data (included...)"
Yet when I try to create a new chart the symbol always comes back with an error
"Unknown symbol". For instance Earik posted a chart here in the forum with INDU.X
and that one doesn't work, I tried X.INDU, that didn't work, my IQfeed uses ^DJIA as well,
that doesn't work, so...Where the heck do I find the list of proper symbols for the
Wave59 included data? the Help file doesn't say under "symbols, or symbol lists"...
this shouldn't be this hard for a noob to the software! lol...
And yes, I'm "Online"...
TIA!

earik
Site Admin

Re: Wave59 data

Post by earik » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:21 am

Hi Mongo,

That included feed is for US Stocks (amex/nasdaq/nyse). Just enter the regular ticker for them: IBM, AAPL, MSFT, etc. The old real time feed used to use the CQG-style symbols (X.INDU, etc), but this new data comes from a different source, and is just the straight ticker itself with no special formatting.

Regards,

Earik

Mongo

Post by Mongo » Tue Aug 11, 2020 3:34 pm

Thanks Earik but something still isn't working.
When online with my datafeed up, the same symbol that works fine for my other software just returns "symbol error" here.
I'm trying to get the DJIA (and for iQfeed it's ^DJIA ) but that returns 'symbol error' too. Works fine elsewhere, not on Wave59.
And trying the built in data, couldn't find any DJIA symbol that worked either. :(
Do I need to start a ticket for this or is there something obvious I'm missing?

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:16 pm

Hi Mongo,

It's just stocks, not indices. I'd like to expand these at some point, but some of the exchanges have outrageous prices for distributors and I want to keep this feed complimentary for everyone rather than have to charge extra for it. So right now, just think Amex/Nasdaq/Nyse. So no DJIA, since it's not a stock. But you can use DIA, which is the ETF version that tracks it. The price will be different, but the shape should be pretty close.

Earik

Mongo

Post by Mongo » Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:01 pm

Ah! Okay, Thanks, that would explain it. I'll just buy the indices from my data provider then.