IB Connectivity question

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
sbank

IB Connectivity question

Post by sbank » Mon Apr 29, 2019 1:44 pm

Hi All,

I created a new Interactive Brokers IRA account the other day. Now when I log into Wave59, I get a dialog box that is asking for:

IB Financial Advisor Settings
Default Settings:
Group
Method
Percentage (can be blank)

Can anyone point me to how I fill this out? I assume that I have to put my normal IB account number in one of these fields. But not sure which one. (The Wave59 documentation on Interactive Brokers topic does not mention this at all.)

Thanks!

abacaba

Re: IB Connectivity question

Post by abacaba » Mon Apr 29, 2019 2:32 pm

Hi sbank,

It appears you have a Financial Advisor account with IB. The dialog box that you posted comes up when setting up the broker settings for trading off charts. I went through this a few years ago, had email discussions with Earik, tried everything. The sad fact is that this does not work -- there does not seem to be a way to use the W59 chart trading capability (which is terrific) with the FA account at IB. Single accounts are no problem, but a big hassle (impossible) to trade multiple accounts with!

It would be wonderful if we could have this added ability. Whad'ya think, Earik?

Todd

sbank

Post by sbank » Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:00 pm

Yikes! Say that it isn't so. I just created the IRA account just as a side thought. My main money is with my "real" account. For me to close my IRA account (which i just funded will be a big hassle). If I knew that now I can't use Wave59, I would have not even went down this path.

C'mon Earik, tell me the good news!! :)

sbank

Post by sbank » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:03 pm

I opened a support ticket with IB. They said I do not have a financial advisor account. So not sure what I will do besides closing the IRA account for a loss and a penalty. ...

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:40 pm

sbank -- Right, technically I imagine yours wouldn't be a FA account since the accounts seemingly are all under your name. Generally though, I think what we are referring to are multiple accounts accessed from a single instance of TWS. At least that's what I have. There is a workaround: you need to establish single account status with IB for the accounts you want to trade when using the "trading from chart" feature of W59. That of course means separate data and trading permissions for each account, and a single instance of TWS for each account. Not ideal. Let's wait to see what Earik has to say. Maybe this issue has been pushed further to front burner status!

Todd

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:15 pm

Hi Guys,

This is one of those things that has been a thorn in my side for a few years now. I've taken a couple runs at trying to fix it, and, Todd as my witness :? , have seemed to pull off a face plant every time. I'll mess with it again soon, and see if I have any other ideas. I think it has to do with an incompatibility in the API wrapper I'm using for W59's development environment, which I suspect just doesn't handle those multiple account logins appropriately. The fix might be to just completely replace that. We'll see. Sorry for the trouble...

Regarding the account, will they let you separate it into it's own bucket? Basically, get it to be just one login/pass for that account, and have a completely different login/pass for anything else? Maybe they can just decouple the two accounts into two separate ones, rather than a group.

Earik

sbank

Post by sbank » Wed May 01, 2019 12:35 am

I’ll ask if they can create two logins for me. That is a good idea.