Is there a Dark Theme in w59's future?

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
blade_master777

Is there a Dark Theme in w59's future?

Post by blade_master777 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 9:31 am

Happy New year to one and all, I hope you are safe and well.

I have been using dark themes on my machines for quite some time. Wave 59 has had a beige desktop since I’ve been using it. I was curious to know if there are any plans to have a dark theme as an alternative, which is becoming standard practice these days. I know the team is small and the tools and bug fixing takes priority, however being a designer, usability is an important thing in an application.

I would also like to know if I’m the only one who thinks/feels this way, or maybe beige is more popular than I thought :-). So what I’ve done is create a darkened version of the current desktop. Please don’t critique it as it’s to convey an idea, it’s not a design in and of itself, just altering the colors of the current one.

Now I apologise if the files are large in size (2560 x 1440), but I wanted to convey the relationship of the icon size to the screen resolution. I have also attached a second image using more modern, larger icons from another application I use as an alternative look.

Happy Trading
blade
Attachments
02 - Wave59 - Dark - Alternative Icons.png
02 - Wave59 - Dark - Alternative Icons.png (139.78 KiB) Viewed 12807 times
01 - Wave59 - Dark.png
01 - Wave59 - Dark.png (101.65 KiB) Viewed 12807 times

abacaba

Re: Is there a Dark Theme in w59's future?

Post by abacaba » Sun Jan 03, 2021 5:29 pm

Very nice, very cool. I change color schemes regularly just to keep my mind and perspective fresh. But never have gone to this extent. Care to share your template(s).

Thanks!

Todd

blade_master777

Post by blade_master777 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:19 am

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the thumbs up. Unfortunately they're not templates, but rather mock ups. I may have miscommunicated in my original post. The reason I asked what I asked is that you cannot get Wave59 to be completely dark. You get a beige border in the application, no matter what you're operating system theme looks like. See the image I've attached. It has my image editor which is fully themed, and I've loaded a Wave 59 screen grab inside it as it currently is. I've notated which parts are OS themed, and which parts are W59. When you have a dark theme, the beige sticks out like the proverbial.

I was hoping to have people chime in and say, yes, we'd like more control over the theme of the app, and maybe even Eric saying yes, or it's on the drawing board, or no theming is not on our agenda.

Personally I'd love a SVG (Scalable Vector Graphcs) theme. It would mean your application would look great at any resolution, from phone to 8k screen, no interaction from the user required. And tools like the vortex would be smooth as opposed to being pixelated, but that's a dream for the future.

Kind Regards
blade
Attachments
skinned vs non skinned.png
skinned vs non skinned.png (252.57 KiB) Viewed 12773 times

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Thu Jan 07, 2021 6:47 pm

Hi blade,

The code actually allows for this already, I just never went so far as to set up choices and sort of forced everyone onto a particular scheme. Definitely doable!

Back when I started out, I thought it would be cool to have a white background on the charts. You can see that in all those really old showcase articles, etc. Didn't take long before that white background turned to gray and then to black. Once you start daytading full time, staring at a white screen all day long is a recipe for headaches. :(

Earik

blade_master777

Post by blade_master777 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 11:02 am

Hi Earik,

Thanks for responding, and I'm glad to hear the code allows for it, and is doable. Hopefully in a near future update, maybe.

Yes, I designed for many years on a white screen, everything looks good against a white background, right! Until my optometrist told me my eyesight was degrading. He suggested I move away from white to help alleviate my issue. It has made a difference, my eyes have made a come back, thankfully.

A dark theme, and a color wheel, and I'm in trading heaven.

Thanks again, have a great day!

Kind Regards
blade

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 pm

Just a quick update: themes are DONE in the upcoming version 2.41. We've got classic and dark as per this thread, but just for kicks there's also white, gray, and the old office 2003 blue. :D

Shooting for a release sometime Q3, but still have a pretty epic IB fix to implement, which is holding the whole thing up.

Earik

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:38 pm

Earik,

A new Wave version release is always a happy day! I am constantly struck by how well _thought out_ everything is on the platform, you know, if only I had this , oh there it is right there, stuff like that. So much so that I feel a tinge of guilt about bringing up the coming IB fix. But, I'm gonna do it anyway...a patch that enables W59 chart trading via the IB Advisor multi account platform -- pretty please?

Todd

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:48 am

I consider myself a pretty smart fella but don't know how you take great and make it better. I guess I'm going to have to ask Earik. :D
Looking forward to .41 for sure!

Joe

blade_master777

Post by blade_master777 » Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:44 pm

earik wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 8:01 pm
Just a quick update: themes are DONE in the upcoming version 2.41. We've got classic and dark as per this thread, but just for kicks there's also white, gray, and the old office 2003 blue. :D

Earik
Hi Earik, that's great news. Thank you for going to the effort of implementing this. It's much appreciated.

I don't want to push my luck, as you've answered my original question, however if you don't ask you won't know.

Is there a possibility there might be a color wheel in 2.41?

Kind Regards
blade

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:16 pm

Hi blade,

Yeah, the color wheel thing.... Last time I thought about this, I couldn't find a good component that I liked, and didn't want to have to write my own. But I just spent like 6 months moving this to a better compiler, and there are a ton of new things in it. I'll go look and see. If it's relatively easy, then yes. ;)

Earik