New computer

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
daveobrien

New computer

Post by daveobrien » Mon Apr 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Hello Earik
How do I install W59 on my new pc together with my privileges that I have accrued over the years.
Many thanks
Dave
UK

earik
Site Admin

Re: New computer

Post by earik » Wed May 02, 2018 4:59 pm

Hi Dave,

Just go to wave59.com - member login, and you'll see the download link there. Run that setup program on the new computer. Next, you'll want to move over all your old charts, etc. Do that like this:

From the old computer, launch W59 and look in File - Working Directory. Note the location. This is where all your custom scripts and charts are saved. You need to move the contents of this folder over to the new computer, and put it in the new Working Directory location. The two locations may be ultimately in different locations on your drive, so look in File - Working Directory on the new machine to see exactly where to paste everything.

That will get everything copied over exactly as you had it before. The only other thing would be to remember to install any 3rd party data clients. All your privileges, etc, will carry over with your license automatically.

Earik

daveobrien

Post by daveobrien » Wed May 02, 2018 6:04 pm

Thanks Earik
Will that also include Big Bertha templates'
Cheers
Dave

daveobrien

Post by daveobrien » Thu May 03, 2018 10:23 am

Hello again Earik
Found the Working Directory box from file on the 59 platform ...but not sure what to do with it ? [ I don't think it can be copied]
On looking through the Wave 59 folder in programmes I see no Working Directory file to copy .
So in essence, I've nothing to transfer over into my new pc
Thanks
Dave

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon May 07, 2018 3:27 pm

Hi Dave,

Once you find the location in File - Working Directory, then you have to go there by hand and copy/paste the folder into your new computer. It is a different location than the program folder. Wave59 itself will be installed in c:\program files (x86), but since Windows doesn't like programs writing to the program files folder, the working directory isn't going to be there. It will probably be in c:\users somewhere instead. When you find it, you'll see all sorts of sub folders in there, like /data, and /saved, etc. What you can do is zip up the whole main folder, and email it to yourself (or copy to a thumb drive). It's definitely there, so keep looking.

Earik

(Yes, it will include all your Bertha templates)

daveobrien

Post by daveobrien » Mon May 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Hello again Earik
I ve found a collection of standalone W59 items [in Documents ] featuring my shapes that I have constructed over the years but there doesn't seem to be programmes for Big Bertha etc there as far as i can tell
Is this the "Working Directory"?
Do I need to "scoop" them up and export them?
thanks
Dave

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Wed May 09, 2018 9:15 pm

Hi Dave,

Maybe. Go to wave59, then click - file - working directory, and look at the path there. That's the folder you want to get. It's probably the same one you just found, except maybe a higher level up. The Bertha stuff would be in the /scripts folder, which is located inside the main working directory folder. So, for example, if your working directory is c:\users\dave\documents\wave59, then underneath that level you'll see all sorts of sub folders, like scripts, patterns, saved, etc. If you copy the main folder, you get all the sub-folders too, and that's the one you want to move over to the new computer.

Earik

daveobrien

Post by daveobrien » Sun May 13, 2018 12:43 am

Hi again Earik.
I repeated the process again as you kindly suggested.
There was no specific folder called Working Directory in the said ["Documents"] path stated by the W59 platform.
However, i did find a large standalone folder called "Wave 59 Pro "on the C drive which seemed to contain all the information we needed.
I copied this to the location given by Wave 59 Working Directory on my new pc.
The final destination from the Working Directory on this new pc, was given as "Wave 59" and not "Wave 59 PRO " as above.
I tried to"paste" "Wave 59 PRO " over "Wave 59 " in their joint Documents location but it didn't work.
I then changed the final destination of the path in the Working Directory from "Wave 59 " to "Wave 59 PRO " and this seems to have worked through the indicators have tons of letters and numbers after them in the menu area... is this ok ?
Thanks
Dave

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon May 14, 2018 4:23 pm

Hi Dave,

The letters and numbers isn't right. But you say the indicators, etc, work properly? You want to copy what is inside the folders, but the actual names might be different. So on the first computer is might be "Wave59 Pro", and on the second it might be "Wave59". That's OK. You just want the old stuff to be inside the new one.

On the new computer, go file - working directory, and make sure that path shows as the same folder that you just updated. If that path is different, then W59 won't be able to see what you moved...

Earik