there may be something of value here

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
NDscorpini

there may be something of value here

Post by NDscorpini » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:52 pm

Hi All,
There are some geometric overlays in this video that may or may not have trading applications. Fast forward through it and tell me what you think. As we all know I have ZERO programming ability.
Best wishes,
NDscorpini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTeJS6Xx5rQ

NDscorpini

Re: there may be something of value here

Post by NDscorpini » Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:03 pm

Hi All,
Completely different video. I just didn't want to start a new topic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dev_NcF8GvQ

Best wishes,
NDscorpini

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:13 am

Being a musician and trader, I took a look at this.

In short, the fellow on YT doesn't have a clue. There is no relation between the symmetry centers of the Coltrane excerpt and the modulo(x) Fibonacci series he shows. Other than that these two series have symmetry centers, but that is trivial. Mod(x) transforms are useful, but the one that is most used in twelve tone models is mod(12). That is also the one that manifests in markets. But you have to keep in mind that the 12 tone equal tempered scale is an acoustical fiction.

Coltrane was very much into using the raw material from cyclic permutations in his improvisations and composition. Whole tone scales and cycle of fifths transforms abound in his music. In the example, we find 5 iterations of the 12 tone equal tempered scale partitioned into the two inversionally and transpositionally related "whole tone" hexachords (the inner and outer circle). Further, Coltrane has mapped 12 transformations of the (0,1,2) collection class onto the cycle of 5ths/4ths (the two cycles are inversionally symmetrical). So, (b-c-c#) up 5 semitones or down 7 produces (e,f,f#), etc. The entire chromatic is thereby produced by that particular cycle. It's cool that he uses the Babylonian division of the circle into 60 and to see the way that works out, also nice to see how this quintessentially Pythagorean cycle is mapped onto the Pythagorean star. There's other interesting stuff in here as well, such as the apparent segmentation of pitch series into penta-scales which also figured prominently in C's vocabulary. But it's kinda hard to tell because of fuzziness of the diagram.

There you have it.

Todd

NDscorpini

Post by NDscorpini » Wed Mar 14, 2018 4:36 pm

Okay