Cali fires

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
abacaba

Cali fires

Post by abacaba » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Earik,

You OK?

Todd

earik
Site Admin

Re: Cali fires

Post by earik » Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:29 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for asking. Yes, I'm Ok. We are in a cluster of about 30 homes that survived, mostly in part to a retired firefighter who almost single-handedly saved our neighborhood with a shovel and a garden hose. There were pie-sized embers falling from the sky at one point, which is what got most of everything near by. Basically, everything around us is completely wiped out - like 95% of what used to be here is now total rubble. A few of us snuck back in after the first day and have been running makeshift patrols around the neighborhood to put out fires and chase away looters. I've put out more fires at 3am than I care to think about, and even yesterday there was one that we found in a mulch pile by an apartment complex near here. The police and national guard are here now to help, but in the beginning it was total anarchy. Not sure how much of it they're talking about on the national news, but this is straight out of an apocalypse movie.

Anyway, it's intense! :D But power is coming back in the surrounding areas, and we get care packages delivered through the police lines. People have donated enough beer that I think we can open a bar when this is all done. LOL

Earik

pear1942

Post by pear1942 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:57 pm

Earik,
Glad to know you're okay: you fought the battle and won. It's interesting that the recent geostorms were included in your knowledge base. These events do influence our society. Take care and go easy on the beer.
Bob

ganndrews

Post by ganndrews » Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:57 pm

Did not realise that you were in the thick of it Earik. I saw some pictures on the internet, it really did look apocalyptic! Wow. There's not so much that I can do to help from this side of the world, short of sending good thoughts.

Very best wishes to all involved.