Space Weather forecasting

This is a general purpose room for anything that doesn't seem to fit into any of the more specialized areas.
player88

Space Weather forecasting

Post by player88 » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:20 pm

Hi Wave59 :)

Does anybody know who is doing the best research on filtering and applying these data to markets?

See Obama's Executive Order, October 2016.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-of ... her-events

Also, any ideas on how best to protect oneself from the effects of same - esp persons with epilepsy and associated atypical neurological conditions?

I've seen Lars VT seminar presentation at one of your conferences and it was fascinating. I'm not sure if he continued working on this and can get no reply from him directly.

Is this the best online resource > http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/ ?

Thanks in advance,

Mark

earik
Site Admin

Re: Space Weather forecasting

Post by earik » Mon Jan 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Years ago, I wrote a program to collect data from the ACE satellite. It sits between the Sun and Earth, and you can use it to get a lead on the space weather due in the next few minutes. I had it plotting right at the bottom of a 1min ES chart. I can say that there's definitely something to it, although the correlations are not as obvious as you might think. I stopped messing around with it after I found other stuff that worked better. A lot of modern astro techniques take this sort of thing into account. There are all sorts of interesting correlations between traditional aspect analysis and space weather, so the two actually go hand-in-hand, although you might not realize it if you are only looking at the traditional approaches. If you think about it, any time the Moon, Mercury or Venus pass between the Earth and the Sun, there's going to be some sort of impact on the space weather. There was a really interesting paper written by the Federal Reserve Board (can't remember the branch - Atlanta?) that talked about stock returns as a factor of how crazy the space weather was. Their data was pretty solid. You can probably find that article if you google around a little.

Regards,

Earik