Indicators print additional day after the close

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
davidk

Indicators print additional day after the close

Post by davidk » Sat Feb 17, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi,

I am using daily charts and notice that during the weekday, right after the end time, indicators (such as USM) will update with one extra day of data after the close.

For a MTS, the extra day of the printed indicator ends up being calculated and displays a false trigger on the screen for current day. For tracking a daily MTS that executes a script a few minutes before the close to calculate a new signal, having an extra day on the screen is confusing at times.

Trying to troubleshoot this issues, I find that if I go to format indicators and review the settings of a indicator, and then close that window, then the indicator I reviewed will recalculate and be displayed correctly up to the current days bar.

If I then save the chart and close it, open it back up, the all indicators once again are showing with one extra day of data. Using ctrl-k dose not fix the issue either.

Not sure if the issue is related to the data feed or how I have my start and end time set up (630-1300). Since I use daily charts for my analysis, I am using the provided W59 EOD data.

Please let me know If anyone has seen this scenario and knows how to prevent the indicators from printing one extra day of data after the close, or how to best manage this.

Thanks,
David

davidk

Re: Indicators print additional day after the close

Post by davidk » Sat Feb 24, 2024 3:22 am

Update on indicators printing extra day.

I decide to just set the End Time in the chart settings from 1300 to 2355. This will delay the indicators printing a extra day of data and only show up to the current day. For my MTS, this is fine as I am still able to see a trigger on the current days bar.

Although I still find it interesting why the indicators print an extra day after the end time.

sbank

Post by sbank » Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:15 pm

Can show a screenshot of this problem? I am trying hard to understand what you are describing.

This is what it sounds like to me:
0) daily bars with a timeframe that stops at 3pm
1) You add any indicator (like USM)
2) when the day closes at 3pm, the USM indicator updates on the screen for not just today, but for tomorrow as well?

That is indeed weird. There is a setting for each indicator to say "update on every tick." The default is off, but maybe you have that turned on?
2024-03-08_09-14-54.png
2024-03-08_09-14-54.png (10.91 KiB) Viewed 708 times

davidk

Post by davidk » Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:19 am

HI SBank,

The script properties of the continuous update is unchecked, as the default setting. Here is one image where the end time is set to 1300 for 1PM PST, and the USM indicator is displaying a extra data point after 1PM of the current day.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 194405.png
Screenshot 2024-03-09 194405.png (98.73 KiB) Viewed 683 times

Here is another image where the end time is set to 2355, which the current days time has not occurred yet and the indicator is displaying as I would expect up to the current bar.
Screenshot 2024-03-09 194034.png
Screenshot 2024-03-09 194034.png (98.9 KiB) Viewed 683 times
Thanks,

sbank

Post by sbank » Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:09 pm

Oh. That's wild!

The only thing I can think of is perhaps your local time setting is not actually set to pacific time? (File -> Time Zone). My settings look like this (I am on the East Coast of the US):
2024-03-11_09-07-20.png
2024-03-11_09-07-20.png (16.63 KiB) Viewed 649 times
We can probably create a QScript to print out details to try to troubleshoot this, but I am not sure what we would actually use. I'll have to think about this.

This might be a Support ticket for Earik, unless other folks here have some ideas. This is pretty weird. :)

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:58 pm

On an intraday chart, the way W59 knows that a bar has closed is when a timestamp shows up in the next bar (basically the next open comes in). Then W59 says "ok, great, let's close out that bar and move on". So you get all your signals, etc, etc.

On a daily chart, that's actually a lot trickier, because if you wait until the next open, it will be tomorrow and you'll have missed your chance to take any action! So in that case, W59 checks your computer clock (or the data feed clock if you have RT data), and watches when the time rolls over based on your "end time" settings. So if your end time is 1300, then at 1300 local time, you get a close triggering, and the indicators go through and do their thing.

You can also have them do it 1-minute before the close, so you have time to place orders, etc. Back when I was a CPO, I'd actually have a bunch of charts close at different times leading up to the official close, then would do some extra computations based on what happened during those last 10 minutes or so. Turns out there's noise right there at the end, so you can actually improve your signals quite a bit if you can determine where the "real" close is compared to the one that is just caused by a bunch of orders hitting right before the session ends.

(Sorry, random tangent...)

Anyway, it's the timer that is trying to keep you current. It's probably going to mess you up a bit if you are using the EOD feed, since if there's no data there, then W59 is going to try and run the process anyway, and since there's no data from today, it will default back to yesterday, and you'll get a funky signal. I think your workaround of moving to 2355 as the closing time is a good one. Either that or get on a live feed and have it all trigger automatically.

Earik

davidk

Post by davidk » Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:50 am

Earik and Sbank, Thanks for the replies, to clarify what is happening with the data and knowing I don't have anything configured incorrectly. I am only using EOD data with a MTS which seems sufficient for me. I will keep the end time set to 2355 for now.