What's new in 2.41

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
earik
Site Admin

What's new in 2.41

Post by earik » Wed Sep 22, 2021 7:03 pm

Hi All,

Version 2.41 just went out! Although it might not look like it, this was a HUGE update on my end. The entire W59 codebase got upgraded to a better compiler, and many of the old components we were using (grids, the IB Api, etc) got converted as well. This is a painful enough process that I try to put it off for as long as humanly possible, and am proud to say that I managed to hang on for about a decade before being forced to do it this time! :lol:

Anyway, keep in mind that we're running a lot of new code now, and although I'm 99.99% sure everything is totally fine, if something blows up on you, just remember that you can always downgrade back to 2.40. This is especially true for IB users, since fixing a lot of issues with the IB API was a high priority for this build.

Aside from that, here's a list of what's new:

• Updated internal DST (Daylight Savings Time) lookup table to 2033
• Main DST detection can be set to auto (as before), or always on/always off. This is in the time zone format form
• Implemented usability enhancements to script library update form
• Qscript can now handle rounding very large numbers (like 567890.123456 at 5 decimals places) which used to blow up.
• Font size controls added to Qscript Editor (in edit menu)
• Visual themes added to the main window: classic, white, blue, gray, and dark
• Fixed an issue where setting a trendline to horizontal only displayed properly after a chart refresh. Now it is immediate.
• Upgraded a grid component (used throughout the program) that was causing a lot of headaches to a modern one that is much better. From a usage perspective, functionality should be the same, but there may be some small differences in the look and feel.
• Added a "lookup specs" button on the IB symbol definition form which allows users to query TWS for the proper settings to use when setting up symbols to trade on charts. The old non-functional "Ask TWS" buttons have been removed.
• Added a "recent scales" feature that tracks scale factors by symbol and time frame.
• Implemented a newer version of the Interactive Brokers API

It's been awhile since an update went out, but now that the compiler/component upgrades are through, we'll be back on schedule. There was a TON of stuff that I wanted to get to on this build, but felt like it was probably better to release things where they were and work on the rest of the to-do list on future releases. So if you've been patiently waiting for something and you don't see it on the list above, just know that it didn't get ignored, and will probably show up in 2.42.

Thanks,

Earik

en1940

Re: What's new in 2.41

Post by en1940 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:09 pm

Earik,

Thanks for bringing new version of our favorite software!!!
Just FYI:
1. Old time discrepancy with Vertical Bar Cursor moved to new version.
2. Interactive show/hide tool stopped working.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/rljpjoduhs2pt ... g.mp4?dl=0

The rest seems fine for now.

Regards,
E~

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:59 pm

Thanks for the report. I'm fixing bugs this week. Seems like there are a few that crept in, probably thanks to the new compiler. I'll look at these too. If anyone else notices anything, please let me know.

Regards,

Earik

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:58 am

Hi Earik,

I was having trouble squaring charts. I was working with a forex pair at the time and was dealing with 4 decimals which can be a pain in the best of times. Whether that had anything to do with it or not I can't say. I ended up rolling back to 2.4 before trying it on anything else.

Joe

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:04 am

Hi Joe,

Can you give me more details about how the squaring blew up? Everything seems ok over here on that front. So far all the rest of it has been pretty easy to fix, so I'm hopeful 2.42 is coming out this week. :)

Earik

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:22 am

Hi Earik,

What happened was every time I punched in the inputs the program would just hang and seem to be in an endless loop. It's been a long time since I looked at forex and was only doing it to show something to a friend. I literally just woke up over here about 20 minutes ago but after I am finished with setup I'll try recreating the problem in 2.4. Perhaps it was something crazy on my part that I was trying to do and just assumed it was something introduced in 2.41. Will let you know a.s.a.p.

Joe

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:51 pm

Hi Earik,

Okay, so what I did was to try and replicate the error in 2.4 and I couldn't. Everything worked fine. So I downloaded 2.41 again and sure enough the program just hangs when I try to square the chart. It's the GBPUSD and I am using .0313 x .1 inputs on daily and 256m data. I rolled back again to 2.4 and everything normally.

Hope it helps,
Joe

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:14 pm

Hi Joe,

Thanks. What data feed? Oanda?

Earik

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:37 pm

Hi Earik,

Nope, I.B.

Joe

Follow up:

Actually now that I think about it I was using ascii to create those charts. The sources times stamps don't match Waves and it does cause an issue with daily data. Essentially it creates a 2 day timeframe. Intra day data is no big deal. I.B. is such a pain to download from so I almost always use ascii as backfill. It works well because Wave remembers the source file. Except for the daily charts though I never have had any problems using this method.

Joe