Squaring a Chart

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
Mark

Squaring a Chart

Post by Mark » Sat Sep 05, 2020 12:31 am

When Squaring a Chart what would the rules for using Bar, Hour and Day?
Thank you.
Mark

ForJL

Re: Squaring a Chart

Post by ForJL » Tue Sep 08, 2020 7:38 pm

Hi Mark,

This is strictly my own opinion but I believe a lot, if not most, traders over complicate the process of squaring charts. I have never seen any benefit in using anything other than the Bar settings and tune them with GS numbers. Fib works well also. Others may of course disagree. For me it is all about understanding the harmonics of the market being analysed. When you make a mistake with the harmonics nothing will work no matter how much you try to fudge it. However get it correct and you can see some amazing performance results.

I see you asked about Forex in another thread so used that in my examples below.

Best of luck in your endeavors,
Joe
Attachments
Scaling_GP.png
Scaling_GP.png (113.87 KiB) Viewed 7597 times
Scaling_GP2.png
Scaling_GP2.png (129.35 KiB) Viewed 7597 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:28 pm

Joe
Thank you for the screen shots.I was able to duplicate the squaring, but not the Gann Square.
I'm not formatting the Gann Square correctly. I could not duplicate your screen.
Any suggestions?
Mark

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Thu Sep 17, 2020 9:49 pm

Hi Mark,

My apologies if I caused any undo work. You can’t reproduce that pattern because it is not a Gann Square. It is a pattern I built many years ago when I first started trading and charted by hand. A friend of mine calls it the Pyramid of Gerbino, I suppose as a take on the Pyramid Of Giza. :-) It’s a prototype that needs some tightening after which I may or may not release to the group. I really haven't given it much thought at this point. I just happen to be working with it when I saw your post and used it as a quick example on squaring a chart.

I’m assuming you were looking for help on the squaring and not the approach itself. If that’s not the case feel free to ask any question you may have. While not a “Gann Guy” per say I have studied his work and do believe it has some merit though not nearly as much as is ascribed to it.

All the best,
Joe
Attachments
GannSquare.png
GannSquare.png (140.88 KiB) Viewed 7517 times

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Dec 14, 2021 6:41 pm

Joe and anyone else

I think I'm over complicating this scaling, if so please tell me so.
First I've been using per day, right or wrong? And keeping "points per" to #1 right or wrong?
I can not see how you came up with .0056 x .05 Bar (64min) EUR/USD or .0203 x .01 Bar (Daily) mathematically.
Are you using the Gann Square to test the scale?
Also could not find any info on GS numbers.
I'm assuming Harmonics is the same as scaling, if so how do you find the harmonics of the market being analyzed?

This is what I've been doing is using concentric circles, Secrets of Forecasting Using W59 Tools Book 1 by Neall Concord-Cushing.
You get more point to test, past and future using the circles.
Using day, week or Bertha cycles
EUR/USD 2 min .0128 x 1 per Day or .000045 x 1 per Bar
GBP/USD 2 min .0155 x 1 per Day or .000035 x 1 per Bar
USD/JPY 2 min 1.90 x 1 per Day or .0055 x 1 per Bar

I go for awhile and get good hits but then no hits, then tweek the numbers. Should I be going bigger or smaller???
I did this for 28 pair 2 min, 8 min, and Daily
Is their a mathematical formula to test these number?
I feel I'm just guessing, "Looks Good" "Looks Bad"?? After a while everything looks or bad.
I'm looking for numbers I can be confident in.
Can someone point me a direction, need the light bulb to come on for me.
Thanks W59 community
Mark

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:47 pm

Mark,

Starting with unity, 1 point * 1 bar, subject each term on both sides of that statement to iterative multiplication by the ratio 1/2 and its reciprocal, 2/1. This will generate an ordered series on each side of the operator such as (1, .5, .25 ...) * (1, 2, 4 ...) Note that this is a commutative operation. To apply, consider the lists as an unordered collection of variables that you can use, i.e., you may find that .25 x 1 works for you, or 2 x 2, or .0625 x .5.

That will yield solid results. Use these numbers to arrive at a scaled chart that looks good to you -- not too volatile, not too flat and you're all set. Other numbers can work, but you will need to have a firm understanding of why this works first. Also, you only need the "per bar" designation for all time frames.

Todd

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Sun Dec 19, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi Mark,

First let me point out that you can never go wrong with anything Todd suggests that's for sure. We do however do things a bit differently. The pattern I am showing you is one I developed many years ago and is amongst my best. In any case this time around I made things pretty easy to understand. The squaring inputs are as follows:

.00099 / 1 or Gerbino Sequence Number / (.0001 * 10000)

Once you get used to doing things this way it becomes easy. The forecast began on 052521.

Joe
Attachments
E6p8_GEOHa1.jpg
E6p8_GEOHa1.jpg (267.42 KiB) Viewed 5114 times

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:06 pm

Here is another example in the ES. Scaling is 73 / .25. It has gotten a bit loose since the beginning of the month but still using it. Piece of cake right? ;)
Attachments
ESp8_GEOH.jpg
ESp8_GEOH.jpg (294.74 KiB) Viewed 5061 times

mkjstn

Post by mkjstn » Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:19 am

I had been following this thread and be meaning to post. I have a couple old poorly written scripts that I was playing with. I was using it to help pick a scale to use. Maybe you guys might find them interesting....

When I was first trying to understand scaling a bit better I started playing with the basic square. I just put a bunch or squares on the chart then changed the scale to see the new projections and how they lined up. The square is different from other patterns because when you change the scale projections change dramatically. Because the square measure up or down in price then projects it forward, the timing line moves more than if you are adjusting time and price together. I hope that makes sense.

Anyway here are the scripts. They are all basically the same. It takes the high and low of the day and draws squares based on the scale. They draw all the squares for every scale (from .25 x 1, .25 x 2... .25 x 8). Only the scale that matches the chart will draw the square (all the rest are calculated mathematically so they appear as a rectangle) . The purpose of the "Squares next day" script is plot only the square scales that land on the next day. So its kind of objective way to figure out what scale to use base on how in the future the projection would be. If Volatility is high the square say .25 could project a turn way out a week ahead. If you increase the scale by x2 or x4 then it might project turn the next day. It only looks at the scales that land within the next day. I was also trying to make a system that looks to take one or two trades based on the last trading day. It looked ok here and there, but for the most part I think it was a dead end. Any way here they are if someone wants to check them out.

Mike
Attachments
Squares.zip
(10 KiB) Downloaded 177 times