W59 Genetic Programming v.2

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
abacaba

W59 Genetic Programming v.2

Post by abacaba » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:40 am

From the New York Times, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love A.I., September 21, 2015:

"In the last several years, a poker-playing program (Cepheus) developed by the computer science department at the University of Alberta has consistently outplayed the world’s best heads up limit hold ’em players. What makes this conquest so intriguing is that the computer isn’t programmed in advance to play in any particular style or have any knowledge of the intricacies of poker theory. Instead it is an artificial neural network with a huge memory capacity (4000 terabytes). It plays and records the outcome of millions of trial and error simulations, eventually learning the optimal strategy for any given situation. It does so without any knowledge of the game or its opponent, or any of the subtleties that inform the best human players. It is completely in the dark as to why it does anything."

4000 terabytes? Gotta refit my spare room, storage, cooling, yikes.

Todd