output signal from wave59 to 3rd party broker?

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
cheo

output signal from wave59 to 3rd party broker?

Post by cheo » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:34 pm

Can wave59 output a signal for buy or sell in the form of a system call or otherwise, so that an application on the same computer e.g. a brokers platform listing for the signal can react and place a trade? I am aware you have a couple of integrated brokers but i can use them in my location, so has anyone else done what i am requesting with a 3rd party broker ?

earik
Site Admin

Re: output signal from wave59 to 3rd party broker?

Post by earik » Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:20 pm

Hi Cheo,

You can output signals to a text file from within QScript. I've seen people use that in conjunction with other brokers. You'd have to write the program that watched the file for changes and passed the trades along to whatever broker it was. Depending on your level of programming skill and the broker, that piece can range from relatively simple to overwhelmingly complex...

Earik

cheo

Post by cheo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:15 pm

ok. I was hoping there would be some kind of Dynamic Data Exchange ability or something better perhaps. I understand different brokers may have non standard ways of interacting with them but that could be customized with the qscript. do you think it would be a bit on the slow side to output to a file at least for higher frequency traders?

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:21 pm

It happens right at the end of the bar that you are running your chart on, and takes fractions of a second. If your custom program was just sitting there and polling repeatedly for changes in the file to detect a new trade, you could get it really quickly. A fancier way of doing it would be by using a socket connection, which QScript can also open and manage. Both would be pretty fast. None of this is built for HFT, but it's plenty fast for everything else.

Earik

cheo

Post by cheo » Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:22 am

1. ok so wave59 is able to open a socket up that another program could be listening to and provided wave59 pushes out the right parameters compatible with the the API on the broker platform then we are all good.

If all else fails I trust that wave59 can send an email alertwith all the details of the trade line symbol, timeframe etc, to some loopback on the same PC or in-house smtp server where further action can be taken?

cheo

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:57 am

Hi Cheo,

Yes on both. Sockets are better if you can pull that off, but email works too. I had mine set up to send me text messages at one point, which also works for stuff like this. The problem with emails/texts is that sometimes the message can get caught up in the internet and not show up immediately, so I'd only recommend that approach if you aren't super picky about placing the orders immediately.

Earik

cheo

Post by cheo » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:07 pm

Earik,

Could you post some example code of wave59 opening a socket and interacting with a broker, preferably in java.
As long as I can identify where what parts are qscript and where qscript pushes the java syntax then I can start coordinating with the broker on a solution.

Cheo

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Sep 11, 2018 6:41 pm

Hi Cheo,

You'd do it from within QScript, which is W59's scripting language. It looks a lot like Java syntactically. The code is wrapped up into a single function call, which is:

SocketSend(IP, Port, Text)

So you'd just use 127.0.0.1 as the IP (your own computer), pick a port, and build up a string of text according to your own formatting rules. Then you could have whatever program you want sitting there to listen for the text, parse it out, and act accordingly. Each broker has their own API, so that side of it varies widely. Some are easier to work with than others.

Hope that helps,

Earik

cheo

Post by cheo » Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am

Earik, that does help. Sounds pretty straight forward. Thank you.

lexa007

Post by lexa007 » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:13 am

cheo wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 12:47 am
Earik, that does help. Sounds pretty straight forward. Thank you.
Hi Cheo, i know there`s a gap in time but did you manage to execute the signals to your 3rd party broker? If so, it would be great if you could share especially now IB does not connect with Wave59 software.