WINDOWS 10

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
Feinberg

WINDOWS 10

Post by Feinberg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:21 pm

I do not know if any of you have Windows 10.

I am having a difficult time with Wave59's behavior with Windows 10, and I wanted to make a post about it for your benefit.

Microsoft released their "Spring Update" in May of this year, 2018. At that time, the most current version of Wave59 was either version 2.32 or 2.33.

When I installed 2.33 in June of this year, 2018, I did a Help | Check For Updates, not an Uninstall and a subsequent fresh install. Everything was working well.

Then when version 2.34 was released I was getting error after error with my Drawing Tools, particularly the Rectangle Box and the Bar Counter. It required of me to rebuild my charts until Earik showed me a "short-cut"......thank you, Earik.

But what I noticed this morning, is my Control Panel showed that I have Wave59 version 2.30, even though the Help |About showed version 2.34.

I then did a complete Uninstall and attempted to do a clean fresh install of version 2.33 (the previous version).

The install did not go well and several error messaged occurred, a Decompression error with a Microsoft font, and the install just hung, and hung, and hung. The install "did not take" or give a response "Installation Successful".

In the meantime, I still have Drawing Tool errors, and my Control Panel shows version 2.30 from May of this year concurrent with Microsoft's "Spring Update" even though I attempted to install version 2.33.

As an aside, I had an excellent software, Mind Stereo from Transparent Corp, that is no longer in business because their software, Mind Stereo, would no longer run post the Microsoft "Spring Update".

From my perspective, I would not run Wave59 with the current version of Windows 10 and with the "Spring Update".

What has your experience been with Wave59 and Windows 10?

Joseph Feinberg

Feinberg

Re: WINDOWS 10

Post by Feinberg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:20 pm

Whenever I draw a Rectangle, it looks like this with the beginning of the Rectangle on the first date of my database.
Attachments
Rectangle Error.jpg
Rectangle Error.jpg (84.53 KiB) Viewed 15139 times

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:24 pm

When I save a Chart Group file, there is the error................

And to correct the error I have to go into the charts text file and edit (remove) a number of lines.
Attachments
Saving Charts_180718.JPG
Saving Charts_180718.JPG (9.74 KiB) Viewed 15139 times

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:35 pm

And when I want to fix the Saving Chart error, I have to go into the text portion of the file's code and remove all lines below the words, End_Of_ Drawing:
Attachments
Saving Charts_180719b.JPG
Saving Charts_180719b.JPG (36.63 KiB) Viewed 15137 times

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:40 pm

But gentlemen, this has been my experience.

Are you having success with Wave59 and Windows 10?

sbank

Post by sbank » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:26 pm

Hi,

I have been using Windows 10 for the past year (whenever MSFT did its big push for Windows 7 users.) I have had zero problems with Wave59. My experiences have been quite favorable. I update Windows to the latest patches/releases on the weekends. And I keep up with running the latest Wave59 when there is an update. My only wave59 bugs in the past year have been:
  • That weird (-1)* error in Qscripts which has subsequently been fixed.
  • A problem with the astro() functions, which I saw an update in the latest Wave59 (But I haven't confirmed if it is fixed)
  • I was using the per-tick feature, but I noticed that it had trouble keeping up with live data. So I switched back to the normal DTN method for charts. (I never opened a support ticket.)
I think all of those bugs above have just been Wave59 bugs, and not Wave59/Windows bugs.

When I do an update, I have some permission problems with the update executable, but that is easily solved for me just doing a fresh download and doing an install over the existing install. (I only needed to do this once or twice in the past year, so it is a minor inconvenience. I think I fixed this back in the Windows 7 day, by right-clicking on the executable and marking it to always run as an administrator. But I can't really be bothered to do this today.)

Sorry I can't offer to help more. Not sure why you have all those problems which is unfortunate. My trading PC is very "clean." Only Wave59, DTN software, MotiveWave software (a Wave59 competitor that I used before Wave59), IB software, I run an NTP daemon to keep my clock in sync, and my anti-virus software (Sophos). That's it. I even use MSFT Edge so I don't have Google Chrome reporting back to the mothership in the background. All very basic and clean.

Feinberg

Post by Feinberg » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello Mr. Bank,

I am glad to hear that your experience with Windows 10 and Wave59 has been successful.

If you would please, look in your Control Panel and tell me what version of Wave59 appears on your end.

On my end, my Control Panel shows that I have installed the Pro version of 2.30, however within my Wave59 Pro's Help |About, it shows that I have version 2.34.

Does the version in your Control Panel agree with the version in your Wave59 Pro's Help |About.

Thank you,

Joseph Feinberg

PS I also have Wave59 RT installed on my Windows computer. It does run, I have Bar Charts and Studies. However where Windows 10 stores all my Saved Charts is a mystery to me. I have yet to find them on my hard drive. I did a search for *.cht and nothing appeared for the Wave59RT files. A search of *.cht brought up just a minor list of my Wave59 Pro charts.

PPS The date of 5/19/2018 is the date that Microsoft's "Spring Update" was installed.
Attachments
Wave59 in Control Panel.JPG
Wave59 in Control Panel.JPG (12.43 KiB) Viewed 15120 times

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Thu Jul 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Hi Joseph,

The best way to check your version is from within W59. Go help - about. If it says 2.34 there, you're on 2.34, no matter what else you see anywhere else. Your rectangle issue has been solved in 2.35. The decompression error is Windows not wanting to overwrite a font file, but you don't have to worry about it since you've already installed it.

Earik

DC1

Post by DC1 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:01 pm

Just ran through the latest update for Wave 59 yesterday

Overnight Windows 10 ran an update and saw Wave as a trojan horse and deleted wave the short cut.

I am unable to find wave59.exe anywhere to start up the program

HELP

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:55 am

Hi DC,

That's a false positive. Unfortunately, it's happening with 2.34 for some people. There's a new security component we added that scrambles code to make life more interesting for pirates :D, and unfortunately virus scanners can get all bent out of shape about it since they can't see through it. You don't have a trojan, you just have to put W59 on the safe list. Run the installer again to get the .exe file back (sounds like your security system deleted it), then try to whitelist it when the message comes back up. If you can't, or just don't want to do this, you can always install 2.33 again, which won't have this issue.

Regards,

Earik