False positives on some Virus scanners with 2.34

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
earik
Site Admin

False positives on some Virus scanners with 2.34

Post by earik » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:18 pm

Hi Gang,

One of the things I did in 2.34 was upgrade the security. One of the things W59 does to combat pirates is obfuscate the source code. Basically, that means scrambling all the commands into what looks like garbage, and then when the application runs, it unscrambles it to run clean code. I like to mess with pirates as best I can, so there are all sorts of things I try to do to make their lives harder when they sit down to crack W59. :) Anyway, the problem is that virus/trojan developers use the exact same techniques to try and mask their malware, and so when security programs see scrambled code like that, they can throw false alarms that an application is infected with a virus. This is happening to a few people with version 2.34. There is no trojan in there, it's just scrambled code. This happens almost every time I update the security stuff, and I have to go and get W59 whitelisted everywhere, and then things work out. So if you get warnings from Windows Defender (or whatever), don't get upset - it's just a false positive due to the new security stuff in a format they haven't seen yet. There is no actual trojan in there.

Regards,

Earik