Problem with screen capture

Post any software related questions or comments here. This is also the place to ask for help if you can't figure out how to do something in Wave59.
kurthulse

Problem with screen capture

Post by kurthulse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:26 am

I'm wondering if anybody else is experiencing trouble saving chart images to file. When I try, I get the typical navigation window, but the system takes a very long time before it will allow me to navigate my way to the folder where I want to save the image. Often it won't let me open a folder or even save the image regardless of location. I first noticed this happening in conjunction with one of the automatic Windows 10 upgrades several months ago.

sbank

Re: Problem with screen capture

Post by sbank » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:01 pm

I just tried this as a test. (Running Windows 10 latest version, and Wave59 2.34.)

I had no problems saving a screenshot. The dialogbox to enter a filename was also very quick to pop up and ask for a destination.

Maybe try to run Wave59 as an administrator (right-click and run-as administrator). I didn't need to do this, but perhaps that would help if you have some funky file permission issues?

kurthulse

Post by kurthulse » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:43 pm

Thanks for that idea, sbank. Running as an admin didn't help. What did help was reducing the number of charts in my workspace, so perhaps it is a memory issue.

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:50 pm

I rue the day when I will have to switch to Windows 10. With Win7, I typically have 8 or 9 charts open when trading, accessed as needed according to what is unfolding on hierarchically related price and time frames...but, screenshots have never been a problem. Win7 does have issues, but familiarity has bred a few work-arounds.

Todd

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:36 pm

Hi Kurt,

Pull up the task manager, and see how much memory W59 is using. It's a 32-bit program, so Windows maxes out at 2GB. If you have a ton of charts open, with a bunch of complicated things on them, you can get close to that amount, and then you'll have memory issues. I have a system that results in me going over, so the workaround is to open 3 instances of W59 and put different parts of it on each one. Otherwise, things get weird when you get close to the limit...

Earik

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:09 am

I should have also mentioned that the charts I referenced are displayed in multiple instances of Wave 59, not just one!

Todd

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:12 pm

Keep in mind that Windows is very picky these days about where you can save things. If you try to save a screen shot somewhere that Windows doesn't like (like in c:\program files), all sorts of crazy things might happen.

Earik