Versioning of QScripts

Have a QScript to share, or need help with programming? Post your comment here.
sbank

Versioning of QScripts

Post by sbank » Wed Nov 25, 2015 2:02 pm

Hi All,

I just bought a new PC as a "dev environment" machine to build out my ideas for Wave59. My current machine I keep in a pristine state and have practically zero software installed on it as it is my "production machine." Normally I did all of my work after market hours or the weekend.

My question to the group is this, how do you maintain your multiple Qscript versions across multiple machines?

I was thinking of setting up an internal github server, or something like that. But I would still need to maintain a way to import the various versions of my scripts across the machines manually. Alternatively, I thought perhaps I could just blindly copy the binary Qscript files that get created from one machine to another, but I am not sure if the Wave59 program would have them as registered or not.

thanks for any insight.

earik
Site Admin

Re: Versioning of QScripts

Post by earik » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:27 pm

If you go File - Working Directory, that's the location where all your scripts/charts/etc get stored. If you copy that entire folder to a new computer, and put the contents in its Working Directory location (which may be in a different location), you'll find that your work can quickly be moved from one machine to another.

If you want to be even more clever, you can put that directory location inside a Dropbox folder, and scripts that you build on one machine will automatically show up on all the other machines you've got running as well. So that's an easy way to keep things in sync, although every now and then Dropbox can get a little confused. Luckily, they don't ever delete files, but just add a "conflicted copy" warning to the file, which is easy to work out in the moment. (Just remember to unlink a Dropbox folder before you decommission a computer, or you'll lose everything on all machines, which would be irritating.)

When W59 loads a script, all it does is look in the /scripts folder in the working directory, so there's nothing more to do besides just putting the correct files there in order to get an indicator loaded. It also gives you an easy way to back things up - just zip up that working directory and archive it somewhere, and you've got a full backup of your W59 work.

Hope that helps!

Earik

sbank

Re: Versioning of QScripts

Post by sbank » Thu Nov 26, 2015 1:57 am

Nice!

It is a little too simple! I will have to find a way to over-complicate this.

(just kidding, thanks for the response. Much easier than what I was planning on building out. Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of the Wave59 crowd as well.)