QScript Tutorial Videos

Have a QScript to share, or need help with programming? Post your comment here.
dwedding

QScript Tutorial Videos

Post by dwedding » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:01 am

Are there video tutorials on how to get started on QScript? Also I'll need a user's manual for the code commands and how to import new QScript into Wave59. I'd like to start with the simple moving average and the exponential moving average, unless someone has already coded those and are willing to share them.

Thanks.

David

Re: QScript Tutorial Videos

Post by David » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm

dwedding,

There is a qscript library, you can access with the platform. In the platform go to scripts tab you will see a drop down menu that will direct you to the scripting library. Plenty of content in there for you to see.

the platform has a big help section for both using the flatform tools and qscript. In the qscript help there is a tutorial to build a moving average of your choosing.

Qscript is a wonderful tool and user friendly

Try getting started and post any questions.

David

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:01 pm

Hi dwedding,

Just so you know, averages have already been coded up, and are part of the QScript library that ships with W59. We were creative with the naming, which sometimes throws people off... :?

Look for:

average = simple average
xaverage = exponential average
waverage = weighted average
savgolay = savitsky-golay filter (an adaptive average)
ama = adaptive average (our own special sauce)

Regards,

Earik

dwedding

Post by dwedding » Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:58 pm

Is there a Zigzag indicator?

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Mar 20, 2018 5:20 pm

You can check out the "Gann Swings" tool, under the Technicals menu. That's probably what you're looking for. There isn't one in QScript though, but they're relatively easy to code up.

Earik

dwedding

Post by dwedding » Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:32 pm

After I code a few indicators, I'd like to group them together under one name that I can call up when I need them. Should I put them all into one indicator name or code them separately and group them?

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:57 pm

Hi David,

W59 lets you create different groups of indicators when you click on the Technical menu. What I'd do is just make your own special group there, and put whatever indicators you create into that group. You'd need to do them one-by-one as you write them. As far as the indicators themseles, you could name them whatever you wanted, and it would still be done the same way. So that's the way to keep it easy if you have lots of different ones to manage.

If you prefer to have one master indicator that launches all the sub-indicators, then you could either write one huge indicator that did everything, or you could write lots of functions and have one indicator that calls them all up. I like to break things up into lots of pieces, since it's easier to work with once you get a lot of them, but if you are only talking about a handful, then you could really go either way. The biggest problem with doing just one huge one is that at a certain point it gets really confusing, since the code is so long, so make sure to put lots of comments everywhere to mark off all your sections.

Earik