it ain't over 'til the market sings...

A forum for current charts, analysis, forecasts, and trades.
abacaba

Re: it ain't over 'til the market sings...

Post by abacaba » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:13 pm

Hi Joe,

The Tymoczko is an excellent book, but it's really heavy on compositional theory and maybe something to read later

I would suggest:
Physics and Music: The Science of Musical Sound by Harvey E. White and Donald H. White -- good intro to basic materials
Tone by Siegmund Levarie
Beyond Measure by Jay Kappraff
Connections by Jay Kappraff
Basic Atonal Theory by John Rahn
A Beginner's Guide to Constructing the Universe by Michael Schneider

The first two are basic must-haves. The Kappraff books are not about markets per se and range farther afield but have excellent discussions of musical/fibonacci derivations plus an extended analysis of the Brunes star and other interesting stuff. No one seems to know about them. The Rahn presents key concepts in a more mathematical and formal way, i.e. set class, interval class, multiplicative transforms. Believe it or not, that's very useful. Finally, lots of useful stuff in the Schneider book.

Good reading!

Todd
Last edited by abacaba on Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:41 pm

Hi Earik,

αυτοί που ξέρουν δεν το λένε ;)

Todd

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:31 pm

Todd,

When I was getting my Classics major, they let us study either Latin or Greek, so there was actually a 50-50 chance that I'd be able to read that reply instead of needing to get Google involved... :lol:

Earik

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:11 pm

:D Good one.

T.

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:03 pm

Hi Todd,

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll shelve the Tymoczko book for now (should get it today) and go with the others you recommended as a primer. Right now I’m up to my eyes re-building corrupt files in another program but when I get some time I’ll try and do a post on a modulation technique I developed years ago. It’s not something that can be done in W59 and try not to post anything that can’t. However I did cover it on the old board and believe it germane to the conversation.

Thanks again,
Joe

PS I used Google … a half year of high school Latin doesn’t take you very far … even if you can remember it. ;-)

ES_Surfer

Post by ES_Surfer » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:55 pm

To All,

Did the conversation go to stealth mode? Quite the cliffhanger! I'm looking to learn more.