a question for the group

This is a forum to discuss trading tools and approaches to timing the market.
abacaba

a question for the group

Post by abacaba » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:03 pm

Does anyone here have any input regarding when Fibonacci ratios made the way into the market TA pantheon, including any attribution to an individual or group? This is probably a two-pronged question, since arrival into the public domain no doubt postdates actual use. Any insights?

Much thanks.

Todd

Baha

Re: a question for the group

Post by Baha » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:41 pm

Hi Todd,

I try to approach markets similar to how you do, so anything you post I am interested.
Unfortunately, I didn't understand the question.

What do you mean by `when Fibonacci ratios made the way into the market TA pantheon` ?

Happy new year

Thanks

abacaba

Post by abacaba » Wed Dec 30, 2015 2:13 am

Hi Baha,

Sure -- what I wonder is when, say, 0.618 or 0.382, etc. appeared in print as ratios to determine market support/resistance levels. When did this enter the language of market technicians? Also, this must have been discussed among a "privileged few" before these techniques became common knowledge.
We may never know who those were. But any print reference would be really interesting. For Gann, in print, it was 0.625, for instance. This is used interchangeably with 0.618 these days it seems, although there is a big difference in my book.

Happy New Year to all.

Todd

Baha

Post by Baha » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:34 pm

Hi Todd,

I see, very interesting question! Looking forward to seeing what others have to say.

Thank you for the explanation.

Magus

Post by Magus » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:07 pm

Hi Folks,

This is my first post to W59. I will introduce myself later in another more appropriate place inn the forum. For now, l like what I am seeing.

To answer your question, application and study of the Golden Mean has been with us for ages and it is very apparent in both Music and Architecture (Geometry) since ancient Egyptian and Greek times. It is part of Natural Law as understood by the ancients. A good source for it being in nature and art may be found in this book "Nature's Harmonic Unity" by Samuel Colman. A point against its use may be found in Greek tuning theory where the ratios 5/8ths and 8/5ths are found. Then again, one can construct a variety of scales with the Golden Ratio. So which is which?

The direct and obvious application to the markets--or any other periodic phenomena is a bit murky. I can infer its presence is such matters as far as I can go back in history where markets and phenomena such as barometric pressure or temperature have been measured. The first direct HINT I can recall was, again, by strong inference found in George Bayer's booklet, "The Egg Of Columbus" in a footnote on page 7. Admittedly, I waffled between the Sacred Cut and the Golden Mean as the "It" Bayer was hinting at. In the end, I went with the Golden Mean although one would not be wrong is pursuing the Sacred Cut. Earlier to this was the prevalence of the Golden Mean in Renaissance painting. One, I particularly draw you attention to is the "Triumph of Saint Thomas Aquinas" by Gozzoli painted in 1471. ( https://www.wga.hu/html_m/g/gozzoli/5va ... uinas.html ). It is there and for the first time I can reckon, there is an obvious connection with the Earth (Sun) and Venus--well, obvious after a few hours of study.

This is probably not much help. Prior to Isaac Newton, most knowledge was hidden in symbol and about the time of Newton the language of the symbols began to dim. The success of his calculus pushed natural law into the background much to our benefit and much to our misfortune. Knowledge of the potency that the application of the Golden Mean could provide was undoubtedly so valuable a commodity that is was a closely guarded secret. Still true today--knowledge is power. Pity most of what we know is rubbish.

Consider this.The ratio of the orbital periods of the Earth and Venus as well as the daily motions of the same. Their synod as well.

The same thing that moves the planets, moves the markets. This is why we can look to the heavens to get a glimpse of tomorrow and may therefore second guess the Cosmic Mind.
With kindest regards,

the Magus