Penrose Tiling

This is a forum to discuss trading tools and approaches to timing the market.
ForJL

Penrose Tiling

Post by ForJL » Mon Oct 19, 2020 12:24 pm

I recently started a new project on something called “Penrose Tiling” … a non-periodic tiling pattern … and decided to do a quick post on it here. [For those who are inclined just do a search and you will find plenty of information on it] I spent most of the weekend working out EIP’s, sizing, inclination, etc, and the chart you see is quite literally the first one I have done. Consequently I really don’t have a lot to say about it at this point in time. However I thought it might spur a little conversation here so decided to post it anyway. Time will tell whether it has merit or not. Forecast begins at the arrow.

Joe
Attachments
#1.jpg
#1.jpg (555.14 KiB) Viewed 10115 times

ForJL

Re: Penrose Tiling

Post by ForJL » Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:05 pm

I have been testing this for a couple of weeks now and haven't come up with anything definitive yet. Nothing where I can say okay, this is the procedure I should follow. Somehow or another it reminds me of the Flower of Life that is already in W59 though it is certainly different. In any case I am thinking about just releasing it into the community and letting anyone interested in it have a go at it. Therefore I would appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

I am also thinking about doing a quick video on one of the ways to properly construct the GCST pattern (last chart below) and posting it on YouTube or the like. I haven't made up my mind on that one yet though. While my preference would be to keep things in the community but it sure beats typing. :-)
We'll see.

About it for now,
Joe
Attachments
t1.jpg
t1.jpg (517 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
t2.jpg
t2.jpg (631.63 KiB) Viewed 10072 times
GCST.jpg
GCST.jpg (537.21 KiB) Viewed 10072 times

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:50 am

Okay, so I have been working on this for about two weeks and starting to settle on what I call the "shadow method." It is something I do with certain geometric patterns whereby the original pattern is cloned and offset x amount from the original. Used appropriately it will yield superior results than using one pattern alone. The technique is not limited to one copy but discretion is warranted less you loose the integrity of the pattern itself.

While I hope to have more on this in the near future for now I will be concentrating on tightening the pattern itself up a bit and doing more testing. As usual I welcome all comments, questions, or suggestions.

Best,
Joe
Attachments
102920.jpg
102920.jpg (689.75 KiB) Viewed 10055 times

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Sat Nov 07, 2020 2:39 am

Still experimenting with this but starting to better understand it and its potential use. As usual the issue is one of consistency but feel I'm getting closer.

Joe
Attachments
Penrose t9a.png
Penrose t9a.png (2 MiB) Viewed 10008 times

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:59 pm

I put in a lot of time in with this over the weekend but unfortunately still having issues that I thought I had solved. Therefore I have decided to suspend work on this at least for the time being. Simply put there are other projects I could be working on that show more promise. It sure looked cool though. :)

Joe
Attachments
Penrose t9_110920.png
Penrose t9_110920.png (402.44 KiB) Viewed 9963 times

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:29 pm

The colors are interesting... Is the idea that market likes red, but avoids blue?

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:31 pm

Hi Earik,

For a second there I thought you were asking a political question. :lol:

Yes, that was one of the things I was trying to test here and it still seems to be holding up. Essentially the idea was that the pattern was mapping a lets say positive and negative polarity and that there was a tendency for the market to want to stay within one particular color range. Transition from one color to the next were considered energy inflection points from which other forms of analysis potentially could be done. The lines, while essentially support and resistance, were also in a way guiding the market. It all sounds great but I ran into problems. The first being that the bitmap file is large thus making it slow and difficult to manipulate. In fact its a real pain. However lets assume that is a programming issue that could be overcome. My real problem came with testing. I have never worked with a pattern that had any validity and could not work across all time frames and markets. They are always quite robust. While testing this thing over the weekend I could not get it to work in lower time frames. In fact I wasn’t even coming close. Now it could be that I stumbled on a particular astro setup that it is mapping quite nicely. I really don’t know. More R&D is definitely needed and while I am shelving it for now I haven’t totally given up on it.

If you want to tinker around with it let me know and I send you the files. Perhaps you’ll see something that I’m missing. These lamps of mine are definitely not what they used to be. ;)

Joe

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:30 pm

LOL. I guess we need to set up some pollsters to try and figure out when the pattern will flip from red to blue. ;)

One of the coolest things I ever found (years ago) was a 3-4 month stretch where every single turn was connected to an ephemeris through volume of all things. I remember sitting back and looking at that chart and saying "holy crap, this is it!". And, like the other 1000 times I've said that, I moved to another part of the chart, and couldn't for the life of me reproduce any of it. It was like a perfect snapshot in time, and then the technique vanished. So over the next year or so I fooled around with trying to predict when windows like that would appear, but had even less success. In the end, the perfect solution to all market movements just became another chart in the "check this out later" pile, and eventually got recycled.

I think the real advantage one gets when you spend your 10,000 hours (or however much) doing market research is you become really good at knowing when to drop something, and when to keep digging. For you, sounds like when a technique starts crapping out on other markets and time frames, that's the point to move along. (Which I totally agree with, btw). :)

Earik

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:29 pm

Yeah, without a doubt you have to know when to walk a way from a project but please, no more polls. Lets just flip a coin instead. :)

Best,
Joe

ForJL

Post by ForJL » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:27 pm

A different version ... another try. Glutton for punishment ... time will tell. ;)
Attachments
t11.jpg
t11.jpg (146.24 KiB) Viewed 9765 times