Any Hive users?

This is a forum to discuss trading tools and approaches to timing the market.
sbank

Any Hive users?

Post by sbank » Fri Mar 23, 2018 8:34 pm

Hi All,

Any Hive users out there using it for intraday signals?

I am having a hard time trying to feed it functions that seem to generate a profit. I have tried USM, AMA, various oscillators, etc. I am working on 10min bars on the ES if that helps. Would love to see some examples from people that have used it successfully. (If I find something myself, I will share back to the community.)

earik
Site Admin

Re: Any Hive users?

Post by earik » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:55 pm

Intraday hives are really hard to build. I think the only way to do it would be if you incorporate some sort of filter to keep you out of the market during the chop. Otherwise the average trade values are always way too small. Daily systems are 10x easier to build than intraday ones because of that... :?

Earik

sbank

Post by sbank » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:39 pm

RE: Chop

Yeah, I am starting to see that. I was hoping adding a an additional long period moving average would help the Hive. For example, do a classic bounced oscillator that the hive would adjust, but also include a 200 period AMA that is not adjusted. That doesn't seem to help.

I did find a function that is really (really!) good at consistently losing money. So I am playing around with that right now, and will see if I can just fade the signal instead. The average trade was around -$60 to -$80 or so. Some potential methinks.

Around the idea of daily hive signals, this comes back to a post I had a month or so ago where one timeframe can help influence another timeframe. So for example, run the hive on daily bars, it says to go short. Then during the intraday, you would only be looking for short patterns. I'll add this to my todo list for another day. I don't want to get too distracted. :)

Simon.B

Post by Simon.B » Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:43 pm

Hi sbank,

Yeah, just like Earik said - intra-day hives are hard to build. I am not using any now, but remember way back when I did
a lot of testing with intra-day hives.... longer time frames worked better. Like one hour would be the smallest time frame to even try,
but two and four hour time frames on 24hr chart looked much better. I know it's not exactly intra-day, but system will be more
responsive than daily and profit is much easier to achieve than on a short time frames.

Good luck,
Simon

sbank

Post by sbank » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:32 pm

So I have pretty much given up on intraday Hives. Now focusing on more of the daily hives.

Most of my hive attempts have been sub-par. Anyone willing to share some good recipes? (I tried all the "Chicago" variants and they didn't really seem that successful to me.)

The best I came up with is one based on John Ehlers' Universal Oscillator. Here are the stats from the system report on the /es:
hive1.PNG
hive1.PNG (35.18 KiB) Viewed 13515 times
hive2.PNG
hive2.PNG (21.73 KiB) Viewed 13515 times
The drawdown is a bit much for me. That is my biggest concern right now.

Edit: Just re-watched the introductory hive movie that Earik many years ago. In that movie he used the Ultrasmooth Momentum and the Ultrasmooth slope as inputs to the hive. I just checked, and that hive looks better than the one I posted above. However, over the same time period, the drawdown was still $40k. So it looks decent, but the drawdown is a bit much for me when compared to its profit. I would still love to see other examples from people.

hjelmstade

Post by hjelmstade » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:12 pm

I created a couple hundred hives last year when I was playing around with that feature. I'm traveling right now but I made a reminder to look at my notes when I get back and will let you know the combination of indicators I had some success with.

Most of the hives I tried and failed to create were also intraday. I had a few that I thought were on the right track after applying very strict trend filters but they became too complicated so I ended up scrapping them.

I will hopefully post a few examples in a week or two.

sbank

Post by sbank » Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:22 pm

Thanks. I am also scrapping my intraday attempts.

Looking for daily hive examples now.

Simon.B

Post by Simon.B » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:15 pm

Hi sbank,

It seems you have spent about the same amount of time trying to create profitable intra-day hive as I did :) - with same results.

The best advise I can give personally about using hives on somewhat intra-day time frames - try other markets.

I know everyone wants to trade ES, and that's what I trade for the last ten years also....but discretionary. The rule of thumb is that the more Market is used for arbitrage....the more difficult it is to trade, and that includes automated trading also. Kind of makes sense if you think about it - arbitrage has nothing to do with direction, that's why most order flow indicators don't work very well on ES. I don't know if results you will get by using hives in other Markets will be satisfactory enough, but will all else being equal - they will be better than ES. Any Market which trades at least 100K contracts per day should work.

Good trading,
Simon