Energy Bar Fix, and SAR Dots

This is a forum to discuss trading tools and approaches to timing the market.
earik
Site Admin

Energy Bar Fix, and SAR Dots

Post by earik » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Hi Gang,

I just fixed a bug in the energy bar plot (thanks Alex!) that was causing some weird resetting issues. This will now work properly in Forex, as well as in really low volume after-market sessions. Watch for 2.23, due in (hopefully) a few days.

Anyway... does anyone remember those old SAR dots from Wave59 RT 1.0? :D It's basically an upgrade to Wilder's parabolic, and I originally meant for them to be a way to automatically manage trailing stops. Turns out they also work really well as trend detectors when used on energy charts. I'm not a Forex trader, so haven't checked it out much, but I bet they'd be pretty useful there, given the amount of big moves that happen in those markets.
energy_20aug2015.png
OHLC on top, Energy on bottom
energy_20aug2015.png (49.05 KiB) Viewed 8844 times
Here's what it looked like on the ES over the last few days...

All for now!

Earik

supracharger

Re: Energy Bar Fix, and SAR Dots

Post by supracharger » Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:56 am

Awesome Earik, that is right up my alley!
- Andrew

sbank

Post by sbank » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:19 pm

Is there a way to get access programmatically via QScript the "real" price when using energy bars?

For example, using the simple SAR example above, if I want to use buy/sell, I could do something like this:

Code: Select all

ref=buy(1,close,"market","onebar"); 
However, the close is not really the proper close, so I am not sure how this order would be executed with IB.

thx.

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:09 pm

No, not yet. For now the energy bars are the price, according to the chart. Don't try to make mechanical systems out of this yet. Have to wait until I figure out how to get multiple symbols on one chart, which will happen after some bug squashing that is still needed in plotting this data.

Regards,

Earik

kurthulse

Post by kurthulse » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:00 am

If energy bars are a simple function of price and volume, then it looks as though it might be fairly easy to calculate the "energy" SAR dot value inside a script that could run on a regular bar chart. That kind of script would be useful to me. If I can get it to work, I'd be happy to share it with others here.

I have some questions for Earik though:
1) Is the function for energy bars a straightforward multiplication of (h-l)*sqrt(volume) or is it more esoteric?
2) How complicated is the (hidden) function "paraboic2"? Is it similar to the already visible "parabolic" function? If not, then maybe you could allow me to work with the newer one just for this purpose.

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:01 pm

Hi Kurt,
1) Is the function for energy bars a straightforward multiplication of (h-l)*sqrt(volume) or is it more esoteric?
2) How complicated is the (hidden) function "paraboic2"? Is it similar to the already visible "parabolic" function? If not, then maybe you could allow me to work with the newer one just for this purpose.
It's not quite that simple. This is done on a tick-by-tick basis, so first you have to identify whether the tick was made under positive or negative volume, convert to change in energy, then add to a cumulative count. So although you see one bar there, it's much more like a tick chart than a minute bar. There's probably a way to get a reasonable estimate though, which could be used within a standard chart. Use the bid_volume and ask_volume keywords, which will give you the amount of buying/selling volume in the bar, and merge that together with the net direction change (from previous close), and there's a chance you can come up with something similar.

As for the parabolic2 function, it's very similar to standard parabolics. The reason this stuff is locked up isn't to keep it away from the W59 crowd, but to keep it away from non-W59 people, who could easily come in here, collect all the algorithms, then port them over to other platforms. So if you get to the point where you have figured out the energy part of the equation and need to get into the parabolic2 stuff, send me an email and we'll go from there.

Regards,

Earik

supracharger

Post by supracharger » Fri Oct 09, 2015 3:48 pm

What would you think about having a Wave59 licensed Wave59 DLL. Where one would have to have a license with Wave59 to have access to the Wave59 DLL, it would be secure and theft prof. Additionally, we could have another platform open, and be able to have the same W59 indicators on that platform so we wouldn't have to switch between platforms to use different indicators which would help with ease of use between platforms.

Sincerely,
-Andrew

earik
Site Admin

Post by earik » Fri Oct 09, 2015 6:02 pm

Hi Andrew,

Let's just say that getting into the indicator selling business as a NinjaTrader or TradeStation solution provider isn't very high on the list of career goals I've set for myself. :mrgreen:

Earik